Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday Plaids

Alas, my weekend off is o'er, and the next I'll be working. Jake and I had a great time; we watched a couple of movies, went to Shakespeare in Central Park. On my own I did some crafting, baking, cooking, and shopping. I finished the plaid skirt that I mentioned in my previous post...
I'm fairly happy with it, even though it's probably not as full at the hem as it should be, and I look like I'm sagging it on this picture. Ah well, I can't expect too much from a pattern that I whipped up on my own, right? This was super easy; I measured my hips, then cut a rectangle that was my hip measurement + 3" for seam allowance and some fullness x the length that I wanted the skirt to be + 1" for the seam allowance. Then I just sewed the side seams (matching the plaids), added a casing for the wide elastic to go through at the top, and hemmed it by folding the bottom under 1/2" and then topstitching on the right side. Easy peasy. My next project is to make some sort of feminine top out of this men's shirt that I picked up while thrifting this weekend.I've seen many cute ideas using men's shirts, such as this shirt from JezzePrints; and this skirt from BurdaStyle; However, neither of these is quite what I'm imagining, or would work well with the plaid. I'm in desperate need of flattering summer tops, and most of the photos/tutorials that I found for this project were kind of baggy. Hopefully I'll dream up something during the night, and have the time to whip it up tomorrow before work!

No comments:

Post a Comment